The Joint Supervisory Authority Customs (hereinafter referred to as the JSA Customs) is an authority established on the basis of Article 18 of the Convention on the use of information technology for customs purposes as a body which is competent for the issues of supervision of the Customs Information System (CIS).
The JSA Customs consists of two representatives from each Member State, which is a party to the aforementioned convention, drawn from the respective independent national supervisory authority or authorities.
Tasks of the JSA Customs shall be performed in accordance with the provisions of this Convention and of the Council of Europe Convention of 28 January 1981 for the Protection of Individuals with regard to the Automatic Processing of Personal Data taking into account Recommendation R (87) 15 of 17 September 1987 of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe to Member States regulating the use of personal data in the police sector.
The JSA Customs has following tasks:
- supervision of operation of the CIS;
- examination of any difficulties of application or interpretation which may arise during operation of the CIS;
- studying of problems which may arise with regard to the exercise of independent supervision by the national supervisory authorities of the Member States;
- studying of problems which may arise in the exercise of rights of access by individuals to the System;
- drawing up of proposals for the purpose of finding joint solutions to problems;
- drawing up of opinions on the adequacy of data protection measures.
Moreover, the aforementioned convention imposes an obligation to communicate details of special measures taken to ensure the security of data communicated for use by national authorities of a Member State which are not competent, in accordance with respective provisions of that Member State, to act in order to achieve the aim of the above-mentioned convention, non-Member States and international or regional organisations wishing to make use of them.
Address of the Secretariat:
Secretariat of the JSA Customs
Council of the European Union
175, Rue de la Loi